Sunday, February 3, 2013

Curitiba and Ihla do Mel

The Island of Honey. How could I not visit a place with a name like that?

Ilha do Mel is a small island at the mouth of the Paranaguá river. Sandy beaches, a laid back vibe and good bars; the ilha was tailor-made for chilling out.


Yet another overnight bus was required, which got me as far as the town of Curitiba. I spend a night in a hostel which was both rubbish and expensive, but at least I was rewarded with some nice buildings on a walk around the old town.



After a short bus ride to Pontal do Sol (short meaning under four hours), I was on a boat to the island. After about 45 minutes on the island I bumped into Bill and Sam, who I'd met in Argentina, and we headed out to see some live music.

The island is beautiful, in a rugged kind of way. Jungle meets beach and occasionally there is the odd marshland in between. The beach is so shallow that you can walk about a mile into the sea before you need to swim but it drops off spectacularly after that, allowing huge container ships to pass through and up into the river.


Other than partying and lying on the beach, the only thing I achieved was a wander to the island lighthouse. This coincided with a tropical rainstorm that left us stranded on the other side of the island for a couple of hours - it was not worth it.

Well, batteries have been well and truly recharged so it's on to Sao Paulo for some partying! I will leave you a wonderful discovery I have made this week - Maracuyá (passion fruit) flavoured Fanta! Why don't we have this at home?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment